One of the qualities of your syntax that might be considered strange is its pacing. You seem to hold the reader back with lots of commas and ellipses. Your sentences are tough!
I think of the syntax as being related to the erotic. In syntax embedded clauses and subordination are the equivalent of sexual stalling. It’s like foreplay. Not everyone thinks syntax is sexy. But it’s an interesting way to have the language enact what’s going on.
I think of the sexual and the spiritual as not being so far apart. Faith is just an abandoning of the self to something that, ultimately, you can’t know exists. How different is that from sado-masochism and having a mask or hood over your face and being gagged and forced to do whatever this person you can’t see tells you to do? Even the position of prayer could be the position used to give someone a blow job.
Learn about my books, including my debut book of poems!
- Three of the biggest (gay) poets! Bidart, Phillips, Gonzalez--The 10 Best Poetry Books of 2013 slate.com/articles/arts/… via @slate 13 hours ago
- businessinsider.com/english-has-a-… via @bi_contributors 1 week ago
- Photo: bgsqd: Back in stock: Angelo Nikolopoulos’s Obscenely Yours and Eduardo Corral’s Slow Lightning. New... tmblr.co/Z8m31y-4TkwZ 1 week ago
- Review: The Poetry of Jack Spicer By Daniel Katz disq.us/8g9ldy 2 weeks ago
- The Marriage of Granite and Rainbow: A Biography of Robert Duncan | Boston Review bostonreview.net/poetry/brian-t… 2 weeks ago
- glbtq >> Special Features >> The Interview as Cruising Ground - In an essay prompted by the publication of... tmblr.co/Z8m31yzgfkca 4 weeks ago
- Why we need an LGBT book award gu.com/p/3k6jq/tw via @guardian 4 weeks ago
- "The Interview as Cruising Ground" glbtq.com/sfeatures/henn… #talkingpoetry #gay 4 weeks ago
- @rmharris Thanks for the shout-out, Reggie! 4 weeks ago
- What Comes Before Gay? Two Boys and the Limitations of Gay Identity slate.com/blogs/outward/… via @slate 4 weeks ago
One of my intersections