TD: Do you consider yourself a “gay artist”? Is there such a thing as “gay art” outside of subject matter? Is there a “gay sensibility” that infuses your work of infuses the work of poets you know?JB: Does a gay sensibility exist?TD: Does it exist in your work, and does it exist at all?JB: I think it does in mine, but I think it’s sort of closing out. I think that kids are coming up now…I don’t think it’s that important to most kids now. I mean it’s not that much of an issue, while at one point, in my life, it was an issue.TD: You mean personal?JB: Yeah. Isn’t that what you mean?TD: Well, is it a matter of subject, or what’s it a matter of?JB: It’s a matter of being aware of it, I think, but that doesn’t answer your question. Sometimes it’s a subject matter, obviously; with a drawing of two guys fucking it’s obviously subject matter. But I think it’s more than that. Most artists are very straight, I mean straight in their seriousness and in what they’re trying to do. I think I’m a lot more sensual, I mean I’m a lot more ga-ga than that–but on purpose. No, not on purpose.TD: Sort of a ludic quality, playful?
JB: Yes. (Pause). I’m not really sure that has anything to do with being gay, though, ’cause I think my work is very sensual, very lush and all that, but I’m not sure that has to do with being gay. If I was straight it might be that way too. I don’t know.
Learn about my books, including my debut book of poems!
- @starringjudith hehehe! Well, I need a pic for that to happen. ;-) 6 days ago
- I've been working on an author page! bit.ly/1bvVZX2 6 days ago
- Beat History Traced in Two Biographies - Jim Nawrocki reviews Michael Rumaker's Robert Duncan in San Francisc… tmblr.co/Z8m31ymuYJgH 1 week ago
- @stephenscott22 Thanks for the RT. And of course congrats to you. 1 week ago
- Will you help me spread the word about a writing seminar I'm teaching called the Personal is Poetic? Please RT link: bit.ly/113XTJQ 1 week ago
- What poets do you love who write 'autobiographical' poems or poems equal parts accessibility and surprise/innovation? #personalispoetic 3 weeks ago
- @remhq Long-time fan, I wrote this to honor the way in which your songs have inspired me. coldfrontmag.com/news/song-of-t… 1 month ago
- Tell @DCComics that #Superman stands for justice, not anti-#lgbt hate. Sign now: allout.org/dccomics-osc 3 months ago
- LOVE Woolf! Want to read this! "Shape shifter: The joyous transgressions of Virginia Woolf’s Orlando" newstatesman.com/culture/cultur… 3 months ago
- Readings! wp.me/sLcPN-readings 4 months ago
One of my intersections