TD: Do you consider yourself a “gay artist”? Is there such a thing as “gay art” outside of subject matter? Is there a “gay sensibility” that infuses your work of infuses the work of poets you know?JB: Does a gay sensibility exist?TD: Does it exist in your work, and does it exist at all?JB: I think it does in mine, but I think it’s sort of closing out. I think that kids are coming up now…I don’t think it’s that important to most kids now. I mean it’s not that much of an issue, while at one point, in my life, it was an issue.TD: You mean personal?JB: Yeah. Isn’t that what you mean?TD: Well, is it a matter of subject, or what’s it a matter of?JB: It’s a matter of being aware of it, I think, but that doesn’t answer your question. Sometimes it’s a subject matter, obviously; with a drawing of two guys fucking it’s obviously subject matter. But I think it’s more than that. Most artists are very straight, I mean straight in their seriousness and in what they’re trying to do. I think I’m a lot more sensual, I mean I’m a lot more ga-ga than that–but on purpose. No, not on purpose.TD: Sort of a ludic quality, playful?
JB: Yes. (Pause). I’m not really sure that has anything to do with being gay, though, ’cause I think my work is very sensual, very lush and all that, but I’m not sure that has to do with being gay. If I was straight it might be that way too. I don’t know.
Learn about my books, including my debut book of poems!
- The Personal Is Poetic grubstreet.org/index.php?id=3… 1 day ago
- Three of the biggest (gay) poets! Bidart, Phillips, Gonzalez--The 10 Best Poetry Books of 2013 slate.com/articles/arts/… via @slate 2 days ago
- businessinsider.com/english-has-a-… via @bi_contributors 2 weeks ago
- Photo: bgsqd: Back in stock: Angelo Nikolopoulos’s Obscenely Yours and Eduardo Corral’s Slow Lightning. New... tmblr.co/Z8m31y-4TkwZ 2 weeks ago
- Review: The Poetry of Jack Spicer By Daniel Katz disq.us/8g9ldy 2 weeks ago
- The Marriage of Granite and Rainbow: A Biography of Robert Duncan | Boston Review bostonreview.net/poetry/brian-t… 2 weeks ago
- glbtq >> Special Features >> The Interview as Cruising Ground - In an essay prompted by the publication of... tmblr.co/Z8m31yzgfkca 1 month ago
- Why we need an LGBT book award gu.com/p/3k6jq/tw via @guardian 1 month ago
- "The Interview as Cruising Ground" glbtq.com/sfeatures/henn… #talkingpoetry #gay 1 month ago
- @rmharris Thanks for the shout-out, Reggie! 1 month ago
One of my intersections